Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My views......

Are your uses of these tools going to maintain traditional “teaching and classroom models” as these authors have observed, or will they help you transform teaching and learning and if so how and why?


I can honestly say that I have transformed my teaching practises to include web 2.0 tools. I have started blogging with my Communication Studies 20 students. I think that I want to include some form of a web tool to show them that there are many ways of communicating. They seem to enjoy the fact that I can respond and make comments on their blogs as well as view my blog. I have moved a great distance in my use of Web 2.0 from just barely turning on the computer to helping others in my school with their own Internet/computer problems and dilemmas. The distance can be measured by looking at my teaching day plans and at my student evaluation. I haven't had the opportunity to "play" in the sandbox with the many tools that are available, but what I have used so far are both amazing and frustrating. I want my students to experience success as well as feel the exhilaration as they venture into the unknown. That is my ultimate goal. Isn't this what every teacher wants for their students? Shouldn't students feel that they are somewhat 'in control' of their learning? What do think would happen if all teachers today decided to swish their practises to include Web 2.0 tools in their teaching practises?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great Rheda! Great way of connecting with the students. I would imagine that as the students explore more you will also learn some of the tools from them. Alot like we are doing here.

Cheryl Morin said...

After seeing your first voice thread , I showed my students other voice threads. We are going to use this tool to teach our reading partners in Roseville, Michigan to say some Cree words and a few short statements. My students are excited about the fact that they are the teachers and that their bilingualism is a treasure in their possession that is thousands of years old. They have said in a few words or so that they didn't think it was a big deal to speak Cree.
I believe technology has a place in preserving languages. I believe the Mohawks created a software program with Elders speaking their first language and writers recording the translations?

Everyday, I am becoming more convinced that the tools of technology are key in keeping the minds of the young focused. Today, for example, my students spent 1.5 hours talking about their lives, creating their bios. We had this time because their Home Ec was cancelled. I couldn't believe it when the boy who hates English the most remarked "Teacher, can you cancel home-ec next week, I want to work on my story!!!" I just wanted to hug him!:)

darcyhelmink said...

Just a thought Rheda, but it sure seems to me that you've made a connection with your students as you started this technology journey with them. Ie maybe you both have been learning together?? DARCY