Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lost Generation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA&eurl=http://passionatelycurious.typepad.com/passionately_curious/&feature=player_embedded

I thought that this video was pretty neat. I enjoyed the poem in reverse more than I did reading it from the top. As educators, we have to be so careful what we tell our students about their future. We seem to believe that our future generation will become self-destructive,but I have heard Aboriginal say that we, the present generation are the ones who are not thinking of our children's future. They say, that there is a generation in the future who will be the most powerful generation of all. They will save this earth from destruction. I do not have any problems with technology as it is today. I use it daily and so do many other people in this generation today. There are more and more improvements in every way possible. We are curing diseases that were once thought to be incurable. The only question I have is this; With all the technology we have in this world today, why is it we cannot save our DENE language from distinction? What is it that we have to do today so that my great grand children will be speaking it fluently? What types of technology can be 'invented' so that our Aboriginal language will not become obsolete?

4 comments:

Brent said...

Hi Rheda. Thanks for the link to the video. It's great food for thought about how we choose to see the world.

Anonymous said...

Yes I saw this before and love the creativity of our artists. In my company people talk about the need for more science and math and although I do not concede that fact I also see a great need for art and creativity.

Cheryl Morin said...

Thanks for sharing all of the videos. I never seem to be able to find the time to get great ones although I have spend a bit of time viewing the ones that pop up first like "Stupid pet tricks" and "National Geographic" ones.

I learned that creating tags on Diigo bookmarking serves the purpose of taking students past the first google page of sites. A tag will take them right to the heart of their research interest or good reading material...

I'm thinking that creating a video might be the way to go to have my students get beyond their apprehension of talking aloud. It just may increase their comfort level if they could make one for themselves first, then for a partner and then for a group of strangers... Get them doing what they like to do , build on that, comment etc and grow from there...
:)

Rosalena Smith said...

Lost Generation is about the self fulfilling prophesy. Human beings will create what they believe. If we believe in great things and that we can create a better future than we will do just that but if we believe in the negative we are also capable of creating that environment. It is what we create as a human race. Where do you think we are heading? If we do not believe that we can create change as educators I think we would start to get discouraged. I believe we need to continue having hope.
What do you think technology will do to our culture and language? Is it going to help us repair the damage or will it help strenghten our languages?