Thursday, February 12, 2009

Having fun playing in the sandbox...

I've had so much fun playing in the sandbox, I forgot that it was work for my masters! Just a thought; how much time do we as teachers, especially high school teacher, have on any given day to give our students the opportunity to play? Should we give them as much time as possible to create and recreate web 2.0 tools during their allotted school time without the classroom teachers feeling guilty? Would you like to think that our schools would allow teachers to make those decisions on their own without feeling any amount of guilt as long as they are following the curriculum?

1 comment:

Cheryl Morin said...

Some students have indicated more than once in the last week of school that "the time just flies during our computer class". "It doesn't seem like work","I like keyboarding,I hate writing." Yet, we only have 1 hour in the lab per week and a library computer bank with 8 working computers that shut down if we are all logged on!!

My playing comes at the expense of writing my 50 pager for the AR project. I literally see the hours passing me by as I try to learn and practice some of the tools for this class and my students' benefit.

In a project we are doing with another school , the other students are not allowed to access our group blog so the other teacher uses her laptop to show her students what we as a group are to be doing.
I feel like we are sneaking around to do this. The students feel short changed when I show and tell them about classrooms that are involved with Rock Our World.
I think its all about control and power. I agree we all need to accountable and responsible but I also know that I am not so tech savvy that I would be able to catch any wrongdoings or prevent it from happening without tech help.