Wednesday, March 11, 2009

P.D. Reflections

I hope the information I posted on my presentation was sufficient. I had an awesome time viewing videos and because I am a visual learner I loved the video format on itunesU. I would like to use this type of P.D. for teachers who are not so savvy with Web 2.0 tools and make them aware that it is not so bad. I would like to see more teachers take the initiative to learn how to use Web 2.0 in their classrooms. Having said that, I would like to see administrators step up to the plate and begin to see the many ways that the Internet can be used in their schools. I am still having problems with the Internet in my classroom and in the computer lab. We still do not have a computer teacher or any type of tech person. I am still experiencing frustrations as my students and I spend valuable time still staring at blank computer screens.

I would also like to mention that when I hear someone say that the Web 2.0 is slowly going to become a useful tool in our classrooms, it makes me more aware of the inability of most schools to upgrade their equipment and hire tech people to monitor that equipment.

I have become somewhat savvy with Web 2.0 tools and I am becoming better by the risks I have taken and the many hours I have spent reading material and doing everything by trial and error.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so impressed with the risk taking by everyone in this class. I am truly fortunate to be working with folks that are willing to try new things and see the possibilities.
Give yourself a big pat on the back Rheda. You have accomplished great things and I know you will continue your learning!
M

Cheryl Morin said...

In a book entitled "The Witch of Portobello" by Paul Coelho the main character asks "What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of their best in order to discover what she already knows."
Quote was found at
http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/blog/2009/03/08/how-and-how-not-to-teach-blogging/

Even though I have never met you, I see you as a model for the students to keep on plodding along and determined to find solutions by practicing and then some because you know the satisfaction of achieving personal growth by showing your patience and willingness to "try another door."
Good work.

Duane Hauk said...

Great job Rheda! Be a leader in the school and teach the teachers the benefit of Web 2.0