Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What connections did I make personally to these learning theories?

After listening to Ian Robertson's and Seimens' recording on contructivism, and reading about Lev Vygotsky's social contructivism, my connections to these learning theories is two-fold. I am currently a student, taking this computer class and a teacher teaching high school. As a student, I believe that we extend ourselves beyond existing understanding so that we can continue to grow and develop and that is a vital tool according to Lev Vygotsky in his theory of contructivisim. For example; we were asked to put our names besides two of our fellow students so that we can become their critical friend and follow their blogs and I went back to check today and I found an interesting pattern occuring. If you can see the pattern, ask yourself this question..."Are we extending ourself beyond existing understanding so that we can grow and develop"? "Do we sometimes fall into a routine that we do not want to break"? and finally, "Are we following a set of assumptions about the nature of knowledge and the way we understand things"?

1 comment:

Marnie M said...

Powerful questions Rheda and I hope others read this and reflect on your message. We have so much to learn from one another, yet we have to step out of our comfort zones in order to be willing to be challenged.

Thank you,

Marnie