Saturday, January 31, 2009

How do theories of learning such as constructivism and/or connectivism help you better understand how to use/integrate technology into teaching and le

I understand how important it is today to use and integrate technology in our teaching and learning as I stated in one of my earlier postings. My views have not changed nor have they altered. I started asking my students to email me their written assignments before Christmas and it has carried on today. They did some internet research in Food Studies and some of them emailed me the links that they researched on and it was easier for them. Constructivism and connectivism theories of learning have definitely helped me to understand this importance of technology inclusiveness in our teaching. I understand constructivism to mean my students’ behavior towards new concepts as being a scaffold. They begin to use this new knowledge with prior knowledge and make connections between the two to include way that this new knowledge can help them in their present situations. As for connectivism, it’s all about half knowledge and the chaos theory. What we know today was not known to us ten or so years ago and therefore what we know today will be obsolete ten or so years from. We have to provide a network learning process for our students. The word is “integrate”. It seems that as teachers we need to find ways of integrating this knowledge to real life in the practical sense. I like the fact that as teachers we need to let go of our authoritarian roles and become less dictorial. We should instead foster learning where we allow students to find connections and network learning as they see fit.

No comments: