Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reflect on your sub-area of education (e.g. administration, teaching, consulting, supervision) and how you facilitate the process of curriculum develo

If I didn't think that teaching was an awesome job, I would have been somewhere else. But I do love my job, be it in a First Nations school, or a small rural community. I haven't always thought of curriculum like I do now since I started this master's program. Teaching from the curriculum has always been my biggest asset as a teacher. I even stressed the importance of following the curriculum guide to new teachers who always seem so overwhelmed in their first jobs. As I recall, in one of my first posting, I said that curriculum was a guide, a tool. Now that I have read so many articles on how curriculum is developed, I am not sure if some things in the curriculum are gospel truth or not. Again, I am coming from a First Nations perspective and how as Aboriginal people we learn differently from other societies. I myself struggled as a student in high school, as well as in University. I am still struggling now taking these classes. I have watched many of my students going through the same struggles. What is to blame? the curriculum? should we be re-visiting curriculum everytime someone says we should? My classroom has seen many changes. I do not teach from the same lessons even if I am teaching in the same school the following year. My students are different every year, so therefore so should my teaching strategies and my lessons. That is how I facilitate the process of curriculum development and implementation.

No comments: