Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How might one evaluate an educational curriculum?

I believe that one should always be evaluating curriculum. I don't think it would be fair to the students if a teacher always used the same readings and the same assignments for every class he or she teaches in any given year or discipline. Evaluation would be based on student needs, student location, student ability, and student capability. I don't think it would take rocket science to see that one part of the curriculum is not working for a particular group of students or school. Teachers should be held accountable for evaluating the curriculum that they are teaching. I have a friend who taught in northern Alberta where a teacher's ability is based on how many students pass the classes that they teach. What if our salaries were based on how much a student learned that week or month or year??

1 comment:

darcy helmink said...

Just a thought Reda. I actually do use the same information from year to year. If you remember Steve's story about the teacher use had the binder with overheads?? Well, that's me. I found it a real benefit when I first started teaching b/c I was afraid that I might miss something "important". I think that I still evatluated curriculum by talking with the students and seeing where they were with all the issues. It was the blueprint that I drew from, but I still taylored by presentations to the class that I had at hand. Just a thought???? darcy